Google Photography Prize 2009.


The 2009 Google Photography Prize was probably one of the better things to happen to me. It's only now, over a year later, that I realise just how awesome it actually was to be a finalist, only 1 of 36 chosen worldwide and the only Australian finalist as well.
A little about the premise of it:
  • The Google Photography Prize is a global competition for students to create themes for iGoogle, run in collaboration with the Saatchi Gallery London. We received over 3500 entries from 82 countries. The public voted to select the 6 finalists from a shortlist of 36 entries.
  • Enter your portfolio of five digital photos that together will make up the iGoogle theme.
  • The shortlist: 36 shortlisted entries will be turned into iGoogle themes, shown on Google and put to public vote.
  • Each of your five photographs will display at different points in the day as the iGoogle theme changes dynamically over time.
Those were the 5 photos (cropped to specifications provided) that I entered, literally on a whim one day before I headed off to uni. I never really thought anything of it until I found out I was shortlisted. I think it's important to mention that while it was a student competition, the winner was a professional photographic artist who just happened to be studying at the time. What the fuck was with that, Google. Just saying. And his shots were so depressing, I can't imagine anyone opting for the shots of P.O.W camps for their iGoogle theme. Maybe it's just me.
ANYWAY. It was a very cool competition, I got a great piece written about me over at yenmag.net which isn't there anymore because they've re-designed their site, but don't you worry I screen capped that shit. I was also on the Nylon mag website, interviewed for the official Google Australia blog, it convinced Frankie magazine to invite me to be a part of their first ever photo book (after a weird email I sent them, but that's another story), and ELLEgirl Korea got in touch with me to contribute to a story and I've contributed twice more since then.
Moral of the story, nothing ever comes back to you if you don't put yourself out there. You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. So send someone you admire your photos. Enter a competition. Submit some shots to a magazine you love. Throw them up on flickr. DO SOMETHING. There is no point having hundreds of amazing photos sitting on your hard drive and no one looking at them.
The internet is an amazing thing. Utilise it.